Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Flow-of-Consciousness to Crafting a Scene


Here is an example of two different approaches to writing the same scene.  The first is called “downloading,” which is a simple, flow-of-consciousness kind of writing, the kind I do when I’m just getting the memory down.  The second is more crafted--more action, more showing, less telling--but not finely edited.  The final version, if it survives editing, will pare down unnecessary portions.  Let me know how you experience each and which you prefer and why.  (Names have been changed to protect….)

Mid-life Crisis

As I pulled the autumn-colored quilt over our king-sized bed, I looked up at the shredding curtains behind it, sighed, wondering when Ken might be willing to budget a face-lift for the room.  The necessities headed his To Do list of bill paying, but clothes, home furnishings, personal items did not have his interest; my efforts to discuss them met with a grim expression.  I was grateful he provided the necessary things, but  didn’t feel I could ask for what he saw as extras being a stay-at-home mom with only a part-time job when I could get it  Still, the shabbiness of the bedroom deepened my the low grade depression.  Our kids, Sherrie and Tom, were in elementary school all day decreasing their need for me, and I’d just completed my term as President of Women's Aglow Fellowship. I missed leading this vital, faith-filled, supportive group of women like a newly blind man misses colors.

 * * * * * *

Our friends’ used, velvety sage green carpet, now ours, cushioned my steps as I entered the bedroom and walked over to our California king.  I reached down and lifted the edge of the quilt striped in an autumn rainbow of gold, green and orange.  No apologies.  It was the 70’s.  I pulled the quilt into place and plumped the pillows.  Would Ken ever give up his lumpy one?  And what about these drapes?  I reached behind the silky tangerine curtains, now shredded where the sun shone in each morning, and pulled the cords that drew them open.  Somehow new ones never got added to the budget over which he ruled.  I made a mental note to learn how to be more assertive.  Dust shedding from the disturbed curtains tickled my nose. Sneezing, I grabbed a Kleenex from the night stand and blew.

             If only I had a good job, my own money, I could get those drapes.  On the other hand, a job would work against my hours spent volunteering at the church and at Rebound, the ex-prisoners’ rehab center.  There was always the on-this-hand-but-then-on-the-other-hand thinking with me.  I could argue both sides on every issue and get stuck in the middle.  No action taken.   Lots of practice caring for others; little caring for myself.  No wonder I experienced this low grade depression.

            Reaching down to pick up Ken’s dirty underwear, I felt the angst of being a stay-at-home mom when the kids no longer needed a lot of attention.  From the day they started school, friends had replaced the fascination they found in my company, and if they weren’t playing with their buddies, they were watching TV.  I didn’t miss diapers and bottles, but I did miss the snuggling and play times together.

My volunteer work as President of Women's Aglow was over.  God I missed those women on my board, the close friendships, the prayer for each other as we shared our personal stories, the excitement of putting on a monthly meeting for the public with good food and an inspirational speaker, other women opening their hearts to the love of Christ.  I loved leading the praise and worship portion, banging my tambourine against my leg as the audience clapped and sang “I’ve got a river of life flowing out of me….”  It had been an exhilarating ride, but now someone else was president, and I needed to take a back seat.  I tossed his skivvies into the hamper.


No comments:

Post a Comment