Saturday, October 29, 2011

Surprised by God

This took place in my late forties after several years of illness.

With a brimming cupful of spiced tea, I stretched out in my usual spot on our comfortable hide-a-bed. I pulled my baby-duck yellow, fisherman knit afghan I’d knitted years ago over my weary body.  It comforted me.  I picked up my Bible.   I was thirty chapters into the book of Job hoping to discover what helped Job deal with all his losses—deaths of children, loss of wealth, having a discouraging spouse, friends who preached unhelpful dogma to him, and finally losing his health.  One thing was clear.  Job wanted God to explain his suffering.  My mood fit Job’s well-reasoned accusations fired at God who, according to the story, had allowed the devil to take everything Job loved except his life.  The difference between Job and me that particular morning was that Job had more energy for the fight than I.

I don’t know how many days I began the morning with Job, starting with my sense of Job’s companionship in physical and emotional misery, and with his trying to make sense of it all.  I was hoping to find some healing word in this ancient sacred book, hoping Job’s story would open a window with some fresh air of hope to dispel my confusion, discouragement and apathy.

For some thirty-three long chapters I’d read Job’s protests about the unfairness of his suffering, and I was about to give up finding anything inspiring. I resolutely struggled through the next two chapters without finding anything supportive.  Finally in chapter thirty-six some hopeful words, “[God] is wooing you from the jaws of distress to a spacious place free from restriction….”[1] 

Whoa!  What’s this? Although I had gone as far as I had set myself to read that day, this scripture injected new hope and vigor into my soul.  It was enough to keep me going into chapter thirty-seven.  It wasn’t just the words that struck me, but a permeating sense of Presence. Past experience had taught me to believe that when I was gripped by a passage of scripture, God was making the passage personal to me.  Here God was saying to me, “Nancy, I’m working to move you out of this prison of misery, to a place where you can live your life fully!”  I sat up straight, shifted the book in my hands, when I read the words, “Then the Lord answered Job out of the storm.[2]  My heart started to race.  I set my tea down so my shaking hands wouldn’t drop the mug. I read the words again, “Then the Lord answered Job….

 It’s difficult to explain just what was happening inside me at that moment.  For thirty-seven chapters I’d been mired in Job’s suffering, his agonies, his confusion, his frustration, his endless questions, monologues to his God who seemed to be absent; and my heart was echoing his sentiments.  It was as if my experience and Job’s experience had become one.  Then an encounter, God showed up to answer Job’s questions!  GOD showed up!  God was aware of Job, had heard Job, cared about Job, wanted to teach Job how to view his current difficulties, and for Job it was as if he and God stood face to face!   I’d put a lot of stock in theology and spiritual practice, but it was the impact of my own sense of meeting God face to face through this scripture, words infused with truth, that shifted my whole perspective.  If hope were a waterfall it would have drenched me in that moment.  All the good I’d believed about God came back to me, all my wilted faith flowered again.  I didn’t know how and I didn’t know when, but I knew in the depths of my soul that God was real, personal and willing to be involved in my life.  I’d always known this, but it had faded, and now it came alive again.

Why did these words initiate such a light-filled, transforming moment?  I saw in a blaze of spiritual insight that understanding wasn’t what Job needed.  What he needed most and what I needed most was encounter, to be acknowledged, responded to, to know we were known and valued by a God “in whom we live and move and have our being,” as the ancient Greeks put it.  My physical and emotional distress had been a muffling agent to the presence of God in my life, and I needed the living God to break through to me and remind me of my belonging and belovedness, that the world still made sense, that my place in it and my relationship to God made sense.  What I needed was an epiphany, the manifest presence of God to me in a way I could fully comprehend.  Job had his, and I was having mine!

What God goes on to say to Job in the verses that followed didn’t matter at the time to me, the words just kept reinforcing this direct encounter Job was having, and that I was having in that moment. God directly speaking to me, making Presence felt and known in an unmistakable serenity yet all my attention on alert status, my mind experiencing a light-filled awareness, my chest filled with a luminous spaciousness in a rare communion with Spirit, in Oneness with Wisdom and Love. This entire experience was quiet and simple, nothing outwardly dramatic, and yet everything changed within me.

As I continued I read Job’s words, “My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you,”[3] I thought I knew just what he meant.  Most of my Christian life was spent living by faith, choosing to believe that the Divine was with me, loved me and was involved in my life whether or not I saw what I considered evidence of this.  But when, by grace, I experienced an epiphany, a manifestation of the presence of God, I lived in a moment of clarity, of sight, of a reality that truly exists and confirmed my faith.  This was one of those moments.

As I became more conscious of what had happened through my reading, the hardness of my life as a chronic invalid was softened by an even greater truth I needed to know again, the transcendent reality that the cosmos is saturated with the love of God which is given freely to all who would draw near, and that a meeting of God in the human heart is actually possible.  And here, on the blue-plaid hide-a-bed, this meeting was happening to me, in me. 

In this fresh revelation, a semi-transparent cloud settled over all that was painful, unpleasant, and sad, over all my troubling unanswered questions, and grace lifted my heart to worship, to love and adore this mysterious God.   I sat, breathing freely, full breaths of hushed life, companioned by the ancient Job and infused with the cosmic breath of God; me, unexciting as a child’s milk spilled out on the table, bathrobe clad, barefoot, alone in the moment, and still chronically ill.  It didn’t matter.

Troubling questions would haunt me later.  Why don’t we have life-sustaining revelations, manifestations of God each and every time we’re hurting, confused, lost?  Why are epiphanies so few and far between?  God came near to me and healed me in my mind and soul that day, but not my body.  Why was that?  If God can appear and put an end to mental distress, why doesn’t this happen when asked…every time?  What I learned was that these questions must not be allowed to stop me from asking for God’s help and remaining open and expectant.  God’s promise is that if we draw near, if we take the time and energy to place ourselves in a receptive frame of mind, and do so for as long as it takes, God will come near to us,[4] and it will make all the difference.






[1] Job 36:16a NIV, 1988
[2] Job 38:1, Ibid.
[3] Job 42:5 NIV 1988
[4] James 4:8a, Ibid.

2 comments:

  1. Great story! This reminds me of a time when my then-husband was off in the Gulf War (Desert Storm). His letters had sounded more and more despondent, and I was worried about his mental state with everything he was experiencing over there.

    Then one day, I flipped open a Bible, and ended up in Psalms. The first thing I saw was, "He will call upon me, and I will answer him."

    "HE WILL CALL UPON ME."

    "AND I WILL ANSWER HIM."

    It was as if those words were written in forty-point bold print. They leapt from the page and into my head, and I felt that presence, that epiphany. It was like, "Holy crap, God is here ... and I haven't DUSTED!" :-)

    In all seriousness, though, his next letter said that he had prayed or read the Bible a bit (I can't remember exactly) and that somehow, he felt better about things and as though he could go on.

    It was an amazing moment in time. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really good writing!

    ReplyDelete