Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why I Disappeared for Two Weeks

How good it is to be on the recovery side of pneumonia!  What seemed to be nothing more than allergies turned into something very sinister.  Did you know you can have pneumonia and not have a fever?  Well, I just learned  you can. Thank God I'm attuned to my body and noticed that I'd taken a turn for the worse.  That got me in for a chest X-ray which confirmed the diagnosis. A bump on the road was confusion over medication.  My doctor prescribed doxycycline hyclate (dh), 100 mg.  The pharmacist declared that wouldn't help me heal from pneumonia.  The paper that came with the medicine warned that I mustn't take it with penicillin, but my doctor already had me on penicillin for a sinus infection.  Neither pharmacist nor doctor seemed to be able to help me understand just how to take the dh.  I was frazzled to say the least and feeling rotten anyway.  What to do?  I called my daughter who has "suffered much at the hands of many doctors" and she cleared it up right away--actually dh is often prescribed for pneumonia.  And, after getting clarification from my doctor, I could ignore the warnings on the paper the pharmacy gave me.  After the first dose I began to breathe easier, and now a week has passed and I'm back on my feet blogging, or is that back on my seat blogging???

No comments:

Post a Comment