Saturday, January 14, 2012

Battle Born

I would love your help....

With the New Year, I begin my autobiography in first draft form.  There will probably be mistakes in grammar and spelling.  Please feel free to point them out.  There will also be chapters of little interest to you.  Let me know why. If they don't interest you, they probably won't interest others.  Hopefully, there will be incidents that help you remember your own special moments or that touch you in some way.  Let me know that too.  Thank you for your participation in making my coming book worthwhile.

Chapter 1 – Battle Born (Opening paragraphs only)

A river runs through my birth place. The river has “rills,” and not just any rills, but “silvery rills” according to “Home Means Nevada,” our state song. This is my hallowed ground, my sacred space, Reno, Nevada, whose history of divorce and gambling might lead you to believe it is anything but holy. Not so! Love covers a multitude of sins, and it was love that birthed me in this place…actually two kinds of love…the Creative Love of a power greater than myself, and a more convoluted, earthier kind of love, my parents’ love, complicated by conflicting desires and self-motivations, and yet it was still love.
*****
Trying to re-orient myself and find out “who I am now,” no career to define me, no children to raise, no one’s time clock to meet except my own, I spent the morning with my sister, Susan, going through newspaper clippings and hand scrawled notes about our family and its roots. We kept thrusting what we found under each other’s noses, “Look at this!  Can you believe that?!”

Gradually, little by little, but steadily, a new and stunning truth began to grip me. It was like walking through a tunnel and coming out the other side to see the glory of the ocean. A whole lot of people had to be born, fall in love or be thrust together, and have children over hundreds of years, had to pick up their lives and possessions and move thousands of miles (some even had to die) in order for me to be born in Reno, Nevada.  Surprisingly, this knowledge boosts my morale and helps counter those “Sweeties” I get at the grocery store from the checker who sees the gray hair and the wrinkles I’ve accumulated over the years in this dry, high-desert climate.

            The five major family lines, with stories, that have come down to me are woven into my ancestry—the Palmers, Stanleys, Munks, Watsons and Fishers. The Palmer line has a certain distinguishing feature that didn’t get promoted by the time it got to me.  No one ever bragged about this fact, but with my Ultimate End approaching all too rapidly, it gives me something of interest to pull about me like a cloak, kind of providing a buffer between me and the Deep Sleep—the remarkable truth that my roots go back to the Mayflower!  I know this from a scrap of paper my sister and I ran across the day we dug through our archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment